Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight

My Twilight Night


Part of our movie group, eating at The Cheesecake Factory

On our way to Twilight!


We aren't making funny faces on purpose, MOST of us had our vampire teeth in.



Angie, yours truly, and Laura, with our vampire teeth in! And all the Twilight goodies they had for sale. They also had tons of give-a-way prizes as well.


These are a couple of ladies that we ran into at The Cheesecake Factory, they were in a group forty something, that were going to Jordan Commons for the midnight showing. At Jordan Commons they were having a Twilight Prom theme.
The WHOLE City was completely packed with Twilighters, and I want everyone to know, 95% of them were 20 and over, so it is not just a teen movie, like everyone says. The restaurant we were at, had a three hour wait, all mostly woman waiting for the movie. Once we got up to The Gateway it was nearly impossible to even move, it was Twilight Mania. You had to push your way around, there was a hour wait for the concessions, and shoulder to shoulder lines with fellow Twilighters, it was Fabulous! And it was even worse when we got OUT of the mid-night showing, with all the people waiting for the 2:30 showing. You definitely had to be a Twi-hard, to go through all that and still have a fantastic time. Okay, now on to what all of you have been waiting for, my Twilight movie review!


First of all I will post my my one word description of the movie,
FANTASTIC!
But now I will explain my opinion. First, is the movie as good as the book? Absolutely not. But stay with me, and promise me to read all of my review. Never in my opinion has any 'book to movie' story been as good as the book. I completely went into this movie knowing it wasn't going to live up to the incredible love story of Edward and Bella.
Did the movie follow the story in the book? NO WAY. But I did think it complimented it greatly. It was a different and rushed story of the book, but the screen writer did keep almost all the rules made by Stephenie Meyer about her vampires.
Should you see the movie, well, duh, of course. BUT read the book first! You wont be able to really fall in love with the Edward and Bella story if you don't. I don't think any one will walk away a Twilighter, from just watching the movie and not reading the book.
Here is why... The movie has a lot it has to go through in a little amount of time. In the movie, you see Edward wanting nothing more than to....eat... Bella in one scene and in the very next, so in love with her that he can actually touch her and not give in to his thirst. You don't get a lot of the courtship that happens between them, to make you realize this is a rare and wonderful TRUE LOVE, once in a life time romance between them, and not a silly little high school teen-age crush. You will be able to understand and keep up with the fast pace, rushed through movie a lot better, and be able to understand a lot more of what is happening and why, if you've read the book. I sat next to my friend Angie during the movie, who hasn't read the book, and during some scenes that would crack me up or make me go "Awe" I would look over and she would be looking at me like "what, I don't get it?" You will laugh more and have more "Awe" moments if you have read the book.
Some of the "Famous" Twilight quotes that were in the movie, seemed really Corney and dumb, and made me feel a little disappointed, they seemed like they were just placed randomly in just to get them in the movie. And they could have been better placed. There was a lot more of "Holly Wood" in the movie than it needed, but I kind of was expecting that too. For example, the Violence from the James Coven, and the first kiss scene, which they put in her bedroom instead of the meadow where it belonged.
The book is a story of two people who have been dealt this awful situation and instead of saying I am what I am, and I cant change, so why try. To instead saying, I can still try to be the best person I can be. Rising above the evil that most of us have to face in life. And Choosing LOVE over everything else. The book is a fantastic love story that everyone can relate to, and everyone should read, the movie only compliments it. Fall in love with the books. Read the books to be touched by a beautiful story. Watch the movie only to be entertained for 2 hours.
I did like the movie, but just because I went to have fun and be entertained. I love the books for completely different reasons. You wont truly understand the love between Edward and Bella from the movie. You will only get that from the books.
But I still give it two thumbs up! Great movie!




2 comments:

Kylie said...

I completely agree!

Jessie said...

It looks like you had a great night! I am glad to hear that you wern't disappointed. I enjoyed the movie very much. I totally agree with you when you say it isn't the book but for the most part I thought it was great. It doesn't happen very often when the movie is better than the book. I think I had low expectations which paid off because it was entertaining to me. So do you know when the second one is coming out?