Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Our Harry Potter Summer

I didn't have much planned for this summer, I was a complete slacker. Until one day in early June, within just a couple of hours, we had our summer theme and a summer full of activities planned. We are having a Harry Potter Summer. I was having a heck of a time getting my girls to want to get their reading done everyday. They were in sort of a reading rut. So while I was trying to get them to read one day, and they were complaining that they didn't want to, I said maybe you just havent found the right book to read then. Of course they didn't believe me, so I went into their room to look at their bookshelve, and saw the first Harry Potter book there, that Aunt Stacie had given them. I hesitated for a moment, because Whitney has been wanting to read it for a while, but being the over protected mother I am I haven't let her yet, I really like Harry Potter, but I think the kids need to be matured enough to handle it, and while I knew Whitney was probably ready, I was worried about my 8 year old. So I decided to try out the first book and she how she handled it. So we all huddled together on the porch (that way Zack could play with his trucks in the dirt while we read) and we started reading. My girls were hooked instantly. Every time I would stop for the day, they would beg me to keep going. We would read for hours a day, and it still wasn't enough for them. We finished book one in a week. So we decided to have a movie night to watch the first movie. And that's when our summer took off. If we are going to have a Harry Potter summer, the kiddo's have got to get their Hogwarts letters first. So before the movie, we got a great surprise! We got an owl post!

He brought the Hogwarts acceptance letters for the kiddo's.

Zack thought it was awesome, and wanted to pull him out of the air.




I know in the book families are usually sorted into the same house, but our family was a little different.
Whitney got placed into Hufflepuff. Where Hufflepuff's demonstrates hard work, tolerance, loyalty and fair play.(I thought fit Whitney perfectly)



Audrey got sorted into Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw's demonstrates intelligence, creativity, learning and wit. (fits her to a tee)


Zackery got sorted into Gryffindor. Gryffindor's demonstrates courage, loyalty, nerve and chivalry. (we had to have at least one Gryffindor in the family)



They were oh so excited!
Stay tuned for more of our Harry Potter summer, I have a lot of activities planned in my mind, now we will just have to wait and see if they all come about. :)
Photobucket

1 comment:

Jessie said...

You are never a slaker! Hello, letters from Hogwarts. You amaze me creative Mama! Can't wait to see what else you've been up too this summer.