Monday, November 29, 2010

1ST PLACE!!

A few months ago Whitney started writing a story at home, just for fun. She would read it to us every time she got a chapter done, and I was so amazed. It was wonderful. She titled it 'The Mad Witch's'. I told her to take it to class and show her teacher, which she did, and her teacher loved it. I mentioned to her that if she wanted she should turn it in for the Reflections program at school. She was so excited. She had to kind of rush to get it done, but she got it all ready and turned it in. Then on Monday evening, there was a message from the lady over the program for our school, saying there was an Assembly in the morning for reflections, and Whitney was going to get an award. I knew that every one who entered got a certificate and a king size candy bar, so I wasn't sure if that was what she meant or not. So we got to the Assembly the next morning and was amazed that they had 147 entries this year. Last year they didn't even hit 50. So it took them a while to get through all the names. One that surprised me was my very own Audrey. That morning she was sad because she didn't enter, and she wasn't going to get any thing. But what she forgot was her teacher had her whole class each write a story and turn it in! She was so excited when they called her up to get her certificate and candy bar. Look two pictures down.
Yup, that is her RUNNING to get her stuff, she had on a huge smile the whole time. :)
Zack was not a happy camper though. He was very sleepy, and wanted to be held, but I knew Whitney was coming up soon, and didn't want to miss the picture moment. But my visiting teacher had came and sat next to me, and saved the day, helping me with him, whew!

Here is Whitney, right in the middle, in yellow. She was getting nervous, I could tell. They went through almost all the other categories before Literature, and she was afraid they missed her. Until her friends Kinzie and Jenna got called up very last for their category, because they won first place, and then she realized that maybe that was why they hadn't called her yet. She was all smiles after that. There were A LOT that entered her category, a lot of the teachers made it an assignment in class, so we had to wait a long time for the winners. But it finally happened, they called out first place and it was Whitney!!!! I was so happy for her. She truly worked so hard, and she did it! They had teachers from another school judge, so there wouldn't be any favoritism, and out of all the other entries, she took first place. The first and second place winners got a medal that even had their name on it!
Getting her medal. The principal wasn't sure how to get it around all that hair, but they finally got it figured out.
Wha-La!
At the end, they had all the winners up on stage to get a picture, but I was too busy with a grumpy little boy, that I got there a little too late, oh well.






Audrey and her story and certificate. She wanted to be in Daddies boots for the picture.

We don't have a picture of Whitney and her story yet, because now it goes on to state, or regional, not sure which, but we will keep updated on what happens next! Way to go girlie's!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Kylie said...

That's awesome! Go Whitney! And Audrey!

Jessie said...

Way to go Whitney and Audrey! What talented girls you have Erica.

(Thank goodness for V-teachers) :)